Monday, June 23, 2008

a most gruesome discovery

i'm not sure if people really believe me when i tell them that i have a couple of picky eaters in the house. in fact, i was starting to think maybe i had been making too much out of connor's eating (or rather non-eating.) there seemed to be more compliance recently in "trying" food before telling me how disgusting it was and how he was in no uncertain terms not going to eat it.

it used to be that the reply to, "what's for dinner?" would be met with a tantrum before the answer left my mouth because it really didn't matter if i said "brownies!" he would already be in the process of screaming how much he hated them. or, if i actually miraculously got him to try and then admit he enjoyed something, the next time i served it he would forget he had liked it and start the usual tirade again. so, genius that i am, i had him start keeping a "thumbs up" list to remind him of the things he liked to eat. it's posted in the kitchen for easy reference.


the list, however, was not the solution i thought it was, and i am obviously not the genius i thought i was, because last night when he very suddenly cleaned his plate in anticipation of dessert, ross raised his eyebrows and walked over to the other end of the table. he discovered something so gruesome we both wanted to throw up. no wonder connor seemed to have an affinity for that particular seat at the dinner table. looking at the contents of the drawer, i can see this has been going on for quite some time. can you say big trouble?

be forewarned. do not view or enlarge the picture below if you have a weak stomach.

11 comments:

Daisie said...

OH MY....is Connor still in his room?? You gotta give him credit...he's pretty dang sneaky. And there's no steak, mac and cheese, pot roast, top ramen, and whatever else was on his "thumbs up" list in that drawer....just the "yuckies".

Will Murdoch said...

That is absolutely hilarious!! I used to wad food up in my napkin, but this is better, way better!

Amber Larsen said...

I honestly remember having that thought the last time we came to visit and I noticed the drawers on your table... I thought about how easy it would be for the KIDS, not for me! Let me clarify, cuz that totally came out wrong!

LauraC said...

That is hilarious but so incredibly frightening to me!

The Brown Family said...

Mee-lee, I found you off of Daisie's blog (my girls can't stop watching the Denton slide show- for the dad song...). I really can't stop laughing. Why does your table have drawers if not for disposing of food?? Would you really store anything else? To be honest I NEVER would have thought of that tactic. Clever Conner!
Love
Kim Brown

Cheryl said...

lol! that's so gross, but also very impressive, how clever is he? i wondered if you guys ever smelled something weird coming from the table?

Pam said...

that's one clever kid!

Baby Sheep, aka Patrick Ross Ruchti said...

May I someday be as wise as young Connor; though smart enough to think to empty the drawer out from time to time when no one else is looking.

Sean and Candace said...

Maybe it's time to get a dog! That's how my brother and I got rid of our crappy dinners. Sean wishes Connor would have taught him that last time he ate at your house:). That's one ingenius kid and what a great story for years to come!

Topsy said...

You have got to be kidding! Grosss! And yes, I enlarged it!

Erin said...

That's one of the most delightful blog posts ever, Millie. Your son is obviously a problem-solver.